Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tuesday's with Dennis...Kucinich

This morning, I had breakfast with Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH). Well, more like me and about 50 other students. He spoke at a breakfast held by the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars, and Tara (a fellow intern at Mobilize.org from TWC) invited me to go.

He is personable. He liked to move around and engage his audience with his passion for politics. Kucinich spoke avidly about on his disdain for sending American troops to Iraq and touched on other issues that members of the audience asked him about (immigration laws and federal grants for college tuition were among them). I really enjoyed having the opportunity to engage a member of congress over muffins and pastries.

I did notice that his rhetoric was polarizing. Perhaps he thought the liberal approach would play well to the audience, but I do remember him speaking the same way when he ran for president. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t playing to anyone. He talked about bad decisions in our nation’s history–we must accept our past an move on. I have noticed, especially with members of the House, that they seem to constantly be on their soap box (and showing no signs of stepping off).

What is wrong with taking a moderate approach to issues? Young voters are registered as Democrats (39%), Republicans (32%) and independents (22%); we need elected officials who will wholeheartedly listen to our generation, to the issues that affect our lives. It’s what I tell students every day when I pitch the Youth06 Initiative.

Even though our ideologies and opinions differ in places, I did like his call for action. Kucinich said "Ask yourself: ‘who am I? What am I going to do to change the world today?’" I appreciate his attitude, and his desire to improve our country and it’s people. I want more of it.

CR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home